Dad-magic: making butter
Want to impress your (young) kids? Here’s an idea for you. Show them how you can turn ordinary cream into butter! It’s magic and it’s real simple (but kids up to a certain age don’t know that yet so you still get the WOW effect). Try it out at home and join the league of blokes who make butter!
Here’s what you do:
- buy some cream (ideally double cream as it speeds up the process)
- pour it in a bowl and start whipping (using a whisk or egg beater). NOTE: use an electric whisk or mixer if you are not on a biceps training programme
- keep whisking until the cream gets stiff and turns into whipped cream
- here comes the magic touch: KEEP whisking when you got to the whipped cream stage. After a while the whipped cream will turn funny and you’ll see it separating into solids and water.
- keep whisking until the solids turn yellow and start sticking together
- eventually you will end up with several large pieces of butter and water
- drain the water (e.g. using a colandar) and put the butter piece in a fresh and very clean kitchen towell (cloth)
- wring out the water from your freshly made butter
Done – now savour the moment as your kids look at you in sheer admiration! You are Super Dad … you can do anything … you can even turn cream into butter!